concepts > documents
Last updated Invalid Date
A block is a single unit used to store text, media, date pickers, and more for your Documents. A block is a logical container that Tipe organizes into part of the Rest API or GraphQL for your Document.
Within a Document, the Blocks sidebar is to the right of the dashboard and offers Blocks of the following types:
- Simple text — for basic text.
- Yes/No toggle — toggle other blocks.
- Markdown — for writing in markdown. Great for blog posts and documentation.
- Media — for images of type
- Document — reference another Tipe Document from within the current Document.
- Number — set a number.
- Date — set the date.
- Color — set a color and use it in your code.
- Link — add a link to a Document.
- Location — add map coordinates.
- Group — group blocks within a Document
- List — create a list of blocks within a Document
Adding Blocks to a Document
This section shows you how to add Blocks to a Document with written step-by-step instructions or with a video.
Adding Blocks step-by-step
To add Blocks to a Document click on the plus icon:
You can find it here in a new Document:
Choose the kind of Block you'd like to add.
In the New Block Details dialog, enter data about the Block. The Name can be anything you like between 1 and 280 characters. Notice that as you enter the Name, Tipe generates the API ID automatically. The Description is where you'll describe a Block's purpose for content editors, so make this in human language. 🗣
Finally, be sure to Save your Document.
Adding Blocks video
The following video demonstrates the step-by-step process described above.
Using Blocks provides a step-by-step guide to using each kind of Block.